Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Friends...Good Times

                                 Photo: Sheila Louise

I remember meeting my good friend Rusty back in December of 2002 on the North Shore of Oahu at Back Packers hostel.  He was rooming with a mutual friend Josh Kast who I knew from Orange County, where I was living at the time.  I knew who Rusty was because he was all up in the Body Boarding magazines and videos.  I was on a rampant mission to find a phone charger because I managed to pack everything except my charger and my phone was dead.  So when I first met Rusty, I'm like "Hey you gotta charger!"  They had all just got back from surfing Rocky Point I think.  Still to this day Rusty still gives me shit about our first encounter.  He was like "Who is this guy...more like who is this Mexican?"  On that trip he almost got me killed surfing Log Cabins.  That day was massive and I knew I shouldn't have gone out there but I couldn't let down the boys.  Just a very eye opening experience of surfing and the Hawaiian culture.  Rusty and I remained friends after the trip.  And still to this day we are great friends.  He is a very good person who comes from a very good family.  And I was honored to be at his wedding with Lisa his wife.  Were like family.  

Rusty has his own business SoCal Surf Lessons based out of Carlsbad CA.  He has been teaching surf lessons for some time now, and trust me he is the person you want to learn from.  He is really good at surfing and body boarding.  He runs a surf camp too for kids during the summer.  If you wanna learn how to surf from a professional who guarantees you'll be standing with one lesson please check out his website:


I hope you enjoyed story time, may your day go in peace soul surfers...

Sun Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment