Sunday, January 12, 2014

Determination

I remember when I first started making music seriously back in 2006. People made fun of me. Told me I suck. Even my own family said i could never do it. Basically knocking me down for pursuing my dreams. I've always been a writer and poet since 6th grade. As a kid I remember being at recess and lyrics and rhymes would pop into my mind. I figured it was normal and everyone's mind worked that way. I didn't realize until 2007 when I told my cousin about it and he basically said no. Not everyone's mind works like yours. It finally hit me that I had a special gift. I wasn't creating music to earn anyone's respect, I just truly enjoyed it. I've always have had doubters and people had a pre conceived vision that I was just some womanizer.  But it's all just rumors. The point is I never quit because I didn't care what people thought of me. I just wanted to make music. I look back and think that all the times people said I sucked, it just made me want to get better. You don't have to like my music. I understand not everyone will, but that's just the way life is. I've worked so hard to become a better writer. I taught myself how to play guitar. I was jealous in High School that my friends were making music and in bands because deep down inside that's what I wanted to do. I didn't get my first guitar until I was 19 going to school at UC Irvine. I practiced everyday because learning guitar is not easy. I wanted to write songs, but it was just a hobby. I was going to school to become an attorney. But I realized maybe what my family wanted me to do  wasn't what I wanted to do. I've lived such an adventurous life that it gave me stories to turn into songs. And here I am now 32 years old and working with some of the best in the music industry. I am glad people doubted me and ridiculed me because it motivated me to just keep getting better.  Moral of the story...don't ever let anyone knock you down. Believe in yourself. There will always be haters. But that's the game of life. So stay strong and never give up on your dreams. That's all I was, a kid with a dream. Don't let other's opinions determine your fate. Do what you wanna do. We only live once. Thank you for stopping by and may your day go in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment